Early Childhood Learning Environment
Our beautiful child care centres in Victoria are purpose built with environmental and sustainable design features sympathetic to the local community and surroundings. Aurrum Kids centres allow children to be active decision makers through natural play and learning both indoors and outdoors.
Aurrum centre design provides an environment that is physically safe, sensory rich and emotionally nurturing, blending all facets to create an open-ended learning experience for children.
“Do your little bit of good where you are; it’s those little bits of good put together that overwhelm the world”
— Archbishop Desmond Tutu —
At Aurrum Kids we are committed to sustainable practices. We are conscious of our footprint in the world and protecting our environment for generations to come.
Each centre has its own greenhouse and kitchen garden. Part of our commitment to the environment is teaching children where food comes from and supporting them to take responsibility for caring for the food that they grow to eat.
Sustainable practices are embedded in our daily routine and the resources we use. Examples of how we practice this at our centres are:
- Using recyclable materials and environmentally friendly products where possible
- Encouraging children to use half flush on the toilets
- Sensor taps at all our hand wash stations
- Encouraging children to recycle paper and rubbish within their rooms, at home and when in the wider community.
- Talking with the children about electricity, explaining how sensor lights work and encouraging them to turn off lights when not needed
- Educating children in the natural decomposition cycle through exposure and participation in worm farms and composting food scraps
- Educating children and having them participate in ‘playground to plate’ activities i.e. seed sprouting, weeding, vegetable gardens and cooking amongst other activities.
- Educating children on caring for our environment, plants and our waterways e.g. recycling water etc.
- Role modelling practices that encourage sustainability
- Recycling water from water play into the gardens
- Emptying the children’s drinking bottles onto the garden
- Asking families to bring in recyclable items to use for arts and craft, with stations for collection found in the entry of each centre
Fostering a community within Aurrum Kids is critical to the development of a happy and thriving environment. The development of wider connections in the community is part of our ethos.
All items sourced are hand-picked at Aurrum Kids, choosing where possible to support socially conscious suppliers. We are very proud to work with some of the best local suppliers who care as much as we do about the impact they are having on the environment and the communities within it.
Jarmbie Coffee will be one of the first local products used across all Aurrum Kids centres. Richard Young’s coffee brand is a bold endeavour which aims to grow indigenously owned businesses within Australia and internationally. Working directly with traditional owner/grower cooperatives in Papua New Guinea and Peru the coffee is roasted in Victoria by Totem Drinks (a proud indigenous business). Proceeds from the sale of Jarmbie Coffee go towards supporting at risk young people through the Be Deadly Camp. This camp enables young people to have fun whilst learning about the importance of self-worth planning for a positive future.